Change Your Winter Skin Care Routine, Stop Dry Skin, and Get Baby Soft Skin
As soon as you turn on the heat indoors, your skin starts to dry out. I have some personal rituals that have completely eliminated winter dehydration problems for me.
1. No more hot showers. Heat will dehydrate the skin and leave it damaged worse than any anti wrinkle cream can fix.
2. Rub down with virgin coconut oil before every bath or shower. Hot showers may feel good after a day in the cold, but the hot water can damage the lipid layer of the skin and leave your skin dry and cracking. Coconut oil will help stop that.
3. Rub your scalp and hair with coconut oil before shampooing, and only use an essential oil- and lavender-based shampoo on the scalp. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft building hair health and stopping the drying of the winter indoor heat. Lavender removes the buildup of toxic chemicals from the root of the hair shaft.
4. Eat a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil every day. This will protect the balance of the skin from the inside out. Researchers know that the secret to healthy skin and weight loss associated with coconut oil is related to the length of the fatty acid chains contained within. Coconut oil is nature’s richest source of Lauric acid, a Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT). Not only do MCTs raise the body’s metabolism, leading to weight loss, but they have special health-giving properties as well. The most predominant MCT in coconut oil, for example, is Lauric acid. The fats in coconut oil are similar to fats in mother’s milk, and have similar nutri-ceutical effects and skin softening effects. Definitely some of the best wrinkle treatment around.
5. Switch from a clay mask to an avocado mask, and no more chemical peels in the winter months. Clay is drying, and chemical peels can damage the lipid layer and dry your skin. Anti aging wrinkle cream will help too, but not when you’ve already damaged and dried your skin.
6. Wear cotton under your wool sweaters; wool keeps you warm, but dries the skin when it is directly next to it. If you want to remove wrinkles, watch what you wear.
7. Take a flax oil supplement; flax keeps the skin healthy and soft by improving on the cell wall health and building a healthy lipid layer.
8. Hook up a humidifier and load it with essential oils of peppermint and lavender.
9. Use a daily moisturizer that has a slow hydration release and humectants that actually draw moisture to the skin. Aloe and Water Polymer Complex, Natural Vitamin E, Amino Acids, Phenols, Phospholipids, and oat-based product are all good ingredients for this as well as glycerin, Sodium PCA, and Sodium Hyaluronate.
10. Use a Vitamin E-based oil on the entire body after the shower, but be sure it is a whole form vitamin E that does not leave any sticky residue. Vitamin E promotes healthy skin and is some of the best wrinkle treatment around.
11. Eat less dehydrating foods and be sure to drink enough water. Alcoholic beverages are dehydrating, so when you drink them, be sure you drink as much water as you have alcoholic drinks. Eating baked or sugary snacks is also dehydrating; when the party season arrives, you probably need more water.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Kat Wright ND, CEO
Frownies – Beauty and Personal Wellness